Monday, March 12, 2007

Album du jour #7 - Faux-incest, real rock

The White Stripes - Elephant (2003)

Prior Relationship to Album: Oh, well, everyone knows this album. Myself included. That's kind of handy, since I should be writing anyways (hooray for all-nighters! Although this is more designed to correct my atrocious and random sleeping habits than a helpful means of getting work done).

High Point: I'd like to say "Black Math" or "Ball and Biscuit", but I have to go with the plebs on this one: "Seven Nation Army" is clearly the best song on this cd, and edges out those two. So I'm boring, fuck you.

Low Point: "Hypnotise".

What I Learned/Realized: All five albums (six if you include forthcoming Icky Thump) have songs with the word "little" in the title!

Future Relationship to Album: "[It's] got [me] in [its] pocket".

In other music news, I don't get the Arcade Fire. I didn't get Funeral, and I don't get Neon Bible. Is this a temporary mistake? Perhaps - I haven't listened to either very extensively yet. I detested Modest Mouse when I first heard them in college (although I took a liking to other indie groups immediately...), so repeated listenings might make me change my mind. And given the universal lavish praise, I clearly have to give Neon Bible at least a decent chance to convince me. But I just can't get over how little I care about the music when I'm listening to it, and usually I have a very visceral reaction to things that move me......so I don't know. If I could land it as an ADJ then I could go into more depth on the subject, but the almighty Album Shuffle button does not heed petty mortal concerns in its decision making process.

1 comment:

jP said...

odd, i "got" the Arcade Fire on first listen. Neon Bible is taking longer, but relatively enjoyable already (2 listens)