Friday, March 16, 2007

Philobracketology

So my original philosophy in approaching the bracket was to make a few daring and crazy picks, figuring that the only way I could win would be if those insane things went down....since otherwise you basically have to get every early pick correctly.

Well, now I feel stupid, because I almost *have* gotten every early pick correct. My daring moves were Gonzaga in the sweet 16, Long Beach over Tenn, and Oregon to the finals. If I hadn't have been trying to go for intentionally crazy moves I would have picked UCLA over Gonzaga, and I wouldn't have picked Long Beach (who just lost by 40 points). But I got the UNLV and Winthrop picks right this morning...if I can get Creighton over Nevada, then I'll be in pretty damn good shape. But it is all for naught unless Oregon makes a really, really deep run.

I'm beating the crap out of most people though. #1 among all BC students! The way Facebook compares you to your friends, schools, and networks is really cool. I'm just enjoying mild success while it lasts (and avoiding the blizzard outside).


Update: I went to Whole Foods to buy some fancy cheese with my new loan money (I am very fiscally responsible...), and as I was walking back in my room to catch the end of the Creighton/Nevada game, one of the announcers was saying "....was arrested for marijuana possession...". I love basketball.

Meanwhile, my standings aren't doing so hot after Creighton lost. Oregon won in a surprisingly close game, which might help serve as a wakeup call to push them to do better in the next few rounds (Porter won't always shoot 30%). I'm at 20-3, and have tumbled from #252 on all of Facebook to #25,000 or so.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Gonzaga is a classic bracket-buster. Beware!

Also, it looks like you're tied with 8 other people from BC--how'd you manage to get listed at the top?

jP said...

Porter shot 45% versus Winthrop ;)