Sunday, March 4, 2007

(dot)Commencement

This "blog's" raison d'etre:
(I use scare quotes because I've never really come to terms with my dislike for the word "blog", but there's really no going back, so I might as well succumb to its inevitability...but I wanted to register one formal complaint when doing my first official "blogging")

- Because I am an ego maniac who wants my various thought-lets to be gazed upon by others

- Because the only place I've written things online up until this point has been Myspace, and I felt like changing that up for no particular reason

- Because I am listening to Jethro Tull's epic late-era masterpiece of an album "J-Tull Dot Com" at 3am, and that makes this make perfect sense somehow

- Because I wanted to reduce the amount of information about myself that Google didn't have

- Because I want another thing I can do at work when things are slow. (There is nothing I have ever really done in my life for any purpose other than procrastination...desires are nothing but things I find to be relatively more immediately interesting than whatever it is I ought to be doing).

But the spark that really incited the thought that I should maybe start such a thing (the "sufficient cause" I would say if I liked Aristotle at all...which, fortunately, I do not) was my resolution to do a gimmicky thing where I made myself listen to one of my many albums at random, and then write things about it (more on this later). I needed a place to host this process, and myspace didn't seem apropos.

So what will you find written here? Aside from the aforementioned ramblings about my massive (ego) mp3 collection, most of what I write here will likely either be my quasi-philospohical ambulatory thoughts, awful jokes, thoughts about my growing basketball watching addiction, or really awful jokes. And stuff about academia and whatnot. Or anything that I envision people reading and then saying "Oh, that Brian!" in affectionate tones. Which has never happened before, but who knows.

No comments: