Friday, May 4, 2007

Album du jour #19 - You're sucking all over me

I feel sick right now. On one hand I love what the Warriors did...but the Mavs deserved to be in the finals this year. What a clusterfuck.


This might give you all a small window into my personality: I still need to do my taxes! I think the last two years I've done them in June and August....


Dinosaur Jr - You're Living All Over Me (1987)


Prior Relationship to Album: This isn't a random choice...Josh and I like to force each other to listen to things we otherwise wouldn't, so that will be an exception to the typical "album shuffle" rule (other exceptions: when I'm listening to a band before seeing them live, whenever I'm dating a band member, or whenever else I feel like it).



High Point: I think I need to be 10 years younger and convinced that getting better at skateboarding is a good use of my time to appreciate anything about this music. If I was forced to choose one of these songs to listen to a second time...I guess I'd go with "In A Jar", which does the most to avoid the general annoyances I list below (but not nearly enough!). I didn't think I'd dislike this band so much, for all I hear of them.

Low Point: "Sludgefest". I couldn't tell when the song was ending, or just braying off into pointless distortion frenzys. I need my music to grip me, but in order for that to happen, the music has to grip itself internally, and this doesn't even get close to accomplishing that. Most all of the songs are comprised of indifferent lyrics over a "greasy" guitar track - greasy because I don't feel like it fits in any groove whatsoever, just slides along at its own self-absorbed pace - in turn over fast but yawn-inducing drums and bass lines. And no, this angry review is not revenge for Josh disliking Herbert's Scale (the album I challenged him to try out).
What I Learned/Realized: The other week I was trying to describe Tapes n' Tapes to Zach from upstairs, and we were having a hard time coming to any kind of concordance, because none of the bands I was trying to compare them to he was familiar with, and vice versa. After I described what TnT's music sounded like, he said "You mean...like Dinosaur Jr?" Now instead of "I don't know.." I can say "hell no...Tapes n' Tapes is really good, and tight, and cohesive, and not a waste of time."

Future Relationship to Album: I'm going to listen to it more to be the coolest kid in school!!

No comments: